Directorate of Official Language
The Directorate of Official Language was established by Government of Goa in the year 2004 with responsibilities to implement the Official Language Act 1987 and implement schemes for development of languages prevalent in the State.
In order to achieve the objective the Directorate is implementing the following plan schemes:
1. Release of Grants in aid to Konkani Akademi for Promotion & Development of Official Language Konkani.
in aid to
3. Grants in aid to Dalgado Konkani Akademi for Promotion & Development of Konkani in Roman Script.
4. Promotion and Development of Official Language & Literature.
5. Scheme for Publications in Official Language.
6. Scheme of “Rajbhas Prashikshan Evzonn 2008”
The Directorate also offers following services in the State :
1. Translation of Governmet documents from English to Konkani and vice - versa.
2. Translation of Governmet documents from English to Marathi and vice versa.
1. For effective implementation of Official Language Act , Government has constituted an Advisory Board consisting of experts in the field of Language & Literature.
2. A Sub-Committee is appointed under the Advisory Board for Effective Implementation of Official Language Act 1987. The Sub-Committee shall study matters relating to the use of Official Language and recommend the course of action including notifications to be issued under Section 5 of the Official language Act, 1987 for the purpose of effective Implementation of the Act.
3. In order to impart the training to all Govt Employees, a Committee of experts constituted, has prepared a syllabus and training will be conducted shortly. The training classes will be held at all Taluka level, in batches.
of State Acts & Rules in Official Language
Publication of State Acts & Rules in Official Language
The Government has decided to translate all State Acts, Rules, Regulations etc. into Konkani and Marathi Language and accordingly, this Directorate has constituted a Panel of Translators for Konkani and Marathi Languages in order to undertake translation of State Acts, Rules, Regulations etc. and publish them into book form. The work is in progress.
PHYSICAL & FINANCIAL ACHIEVEMENTS UNDER PLAN SCHEMES:
Grant in aid to
The Department extends Grant-in-Aid to Goa Konkani Akademi, for undertaking various activities for the promotion and development of Konkani Language.
The Schemes include financial assistance to budding writers, publication of dictionaries, research and publication on folklores, organise tiatr/drama festival and conduct workshop on literature.
In the year 2009-2010, Rs. 55.00 lakhs were released as grants to Konkani Akademi and in the current year a provision of Rs. 71.50 lakhs has been made under this Scheme.
Grant in aid
3) Grant in Aid to Dalgado Konkani Akademi :
In the year 2009-2010, Rs. 15.00 lakhs were released as grants to Dalgado Konkani Akademi for undertaking literary activities in Roman script. The works to be undertaken by the Akademi include publication of books in Roman script, conduct workshop/seminar and other literary functions. Budgetary provision of Rs. 18.00 lakhs have been made for the year 2010-11 to the Akademi.
4) Promotion and Development of Official Language :
In the year 2009 – 2010, this Directorate released grants of
Rs. 0.50 lakh to
for organizing National Level Translation Event. Grants of Rs. 6.00 lakhs
were released to Konkan Marathi Parishad, Panaji-Goa for organizing
Akhil Bharatiya Sahitya – Sanskruti Sammelan. Grants of Rs. 6.00 lakhs
were released towards 27th Session of All India Konkani Parishad
Sammelan which was held on 05.02.2010 to 07.02.2010 at Sanquelim-Goa.
Also grants of Rs. 15 lakhs to Konkani Bhasha Mandal for their activities for strengthening and propagating Konkani Language in the State and Rs. 15.00 lakhs to Vishva Konkani Parishad, Mangalore for their contribution for development of Konkani language and also for establishing Vishwa Konkani Kendra at Mangalore.
Grants were released to Naad Brahma, Vasco - da - Gama of
Rs. 3.00 Lakhs for the financial year 2009-10 towards production of
audio C.D.containing songs on selected poems of late Shri. Bakibab Borkar
to commemorate the Birth Centenary of Shri. Bakibab Borkar
great poet of
accelerated expenditure involved in making the C. D. of selected poems
of late Shri Borkar it has been decided by the Government to release
additional amount of Rs. 2.00 lakhs to be released during current year
5. Scheme for Publications in Official Language:
This Directorate has formulated a Scheme for Publication in Official Language on the subjects-Science and Technology, Sociology, Philosophy, Finance, History, Agriculture Rural Development, Information Technology etc., which has been implemented in the current year. The Evaluation Committee is formulated for the “Publication Scheme, on the subjects - Science & Technology, Sociology, Finance, etc” and under this scheme three books were selected for the year 2009-10 and subsequently books were released in the current year. A provision of Rs. 7.00 lakhs is made under the Budget 2010-11for current year’s publication.
6. Scheme of “Rajbhas Prashikshan Evzonn 2008” :
This Directorate has formulated
a scheme called
“Rajbhas Prashikshan Evzonn 2008” in order to impart in-service training to all
the Government employees in Official Language.
This is intended to help to carry out all the official work in Konkani,
being the Official Language of the State of